Baskets are such a great household storage essential. However their simple neutral tones or shapes can get a little boring or may become outdated after time. Looking for something new and exciting? Avoid buying new when you can use ones you already have! Spice up your existing or outdated baskets with paint and some fun colorful geometric shapes!
Here we added various sized circular and oval shapes in shades of blues, greens, and golds to our basket but you can create anything with this project. Go more modern and trendy with triangles or small es in a monochromatic scheme! Match the colors and shapes to your existing home decor or go bold and use bright contrasting colors to what you already have! This project is super easy, fun and creative! Even the most novice DIYer can tackle this one!
- various colors of acrylic paint
- various sizes of paint brushes
- cup of water for washing brushed between colors
- plate for paints
Prep by pouring out your paint colors on to small plates and getting water ready for washing brushed between each color (especially important if you use multiple colors like we used here).
1. Start by using a small brush to outline a shape in one of your colors. Here we used various sizes of circles overlapping each other at the bottom of the basket.
2. Once you have the outline the shape with the small brush, use your large brush to fill in the shape.
3. Continue on around the basket with the same method, drawing/ planning the shapes out first with your small brush and filling in with your large brush. Vary your colors and shapes for a pattern of your choice.
Once you are done painting your basket, flip over to let your paint dry. Once dry fill up your basket and put on display in your home!
This technique provides a more organic look, but if you prefer a more modern or evenly spaced look, measure out your shapes and lightly draw on with a pencil ahead of time before adding paint.